Friday, June 20, 2008

Adventures in Motherhood



Every night before Cody and I go to sleep, we usually lie in bed and talk. We discuss an assortment of things, most nights the topics include the kids and I's plans for the next day. Last night, I told him that I was looking forward to taking the children to the "Art Adventure" at the NCCIL (sometimes pronounced "nickel"), which is the National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature, located in Abilene. I moaned a little about the fact that I had to have myself and the kids dressed, fed (does heading to the donut shop count?) and in Abilene by 10:00 am...you see, at the beginning of the summer, I went online looking for some fun activities for the babies and I to do together this summer. On the NCCIL website, it advertised that they did an Art Adventure on the third Friday of every month. It included story time and an art activity to go along with the story...sounded right up Claire and Gregory's alley...so my alarm was set for the crack of dawn and we were ready for the adventure...
We arose this morning with the sun (sorry for the whining, people, but my babies usually ALL sleep until 9:00 most mornings, so excuse me for being a little spoiled about my sleep) and headed out to grab breakfast. We arrived in Abilene with about ten minutes to spare, and we talked all the way there about what our Art Adventure might be about...
The kids pile out of the car, Meredith is safely fastened in her stroller, and we walk briskly up the sidewalk to the front door. We come face-to-face with the girl who is opening the center for the morning, and she greets us with a cheerful, "hello!" I return the salutation and Claire immediately chimes in with, "We are here for the Art Adventure!" The girl simply cocks her head to the side and says, "oh, I am sorry...we aren't doing the Art Adventure anymore..."
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I immediately had a two millisecond come-to-Jesus-meeting with my face, quickly inserted my filter in my mouth and just sweetly answered, "oh...you're not? That's too bad..we were REALLY looking forward to it...especially since it looked so great on the website. YESTERDAY.
Lesson for the day: Anytime you are planning on attending an activity that includes the word "adventure" in the title...just assume that the actual "adventure" may be the actual process of getting there. Oh yea, and call before you plan your day around anything posted on a website.

No harm, no foul. We headed across the street to the Grace Children's Museum instead. The kids loved the huge tree...this mommy loved the huge tree for providing great photo opps for my kids. We all came out winners.
Have a great weekend.












1 comment:

The Speck family said...

Oh my word, Meredith is SO BIG and ADORABLE!!!!!!! Claire and Gregory are just beautiful as well, and SO GROWN UP! I miss you guys tons and love reading about your adventures :).