Monday, November 24, 2008

I am constantly talking to Claire and Gregory about being grateful. We discussed it at length the other day, and Gregory summed it up by stating that being grateful is simply saying "thank you" when I make him a sippy cup full of chocolate milk. Claire said that she thought being grateful was "taking care of our nice things and thanking God for our blessings". While both are precious, precious answers (they're only 3 and 5 respectively) I have been pondering this question since our conversation.
I believe that being thankful is more than saying "thank you". I believe that being thankful is an all-encompassing state of mind that overshadows every aspect of your life. When you are thankful, you are aware of the blessings that God has so richly showered upon you. And when you are aware of these blessings, you seem to take better care of them, whether they are people or things. When you take care of your blessings, you are kinder and more thoughtful of their presence in your life. When you are thoughtful, you are aknowledging that you are not the only person on the planet, and thus live a more selfless life. Being selfless allows you to serve others and love as Jesus loved.
One of my goals as a parent is to raise gracious children. I want them to know that they are blessed by God beyond measure. I want them to thank Him for these blessings and then in turn, take precious care of these blessings. I want them to be thoughtful and kind, because they realize that each person or animal or thing is a gift from God. I want them to be selfless, knowing that while they are the center of MY universe...they are not the center of THE universe. And when someone gives them a gift, or even a cup of chocolate milk...I want them to look that person in the eyes and say "thank you".
I tell my babies all the time, "it's about more than just having good manners..." Anyone can have good manners. It takes someone that is truly thankful for the gifts in their life to live a life of graciousness.
I know it's a lesson that is a little much for a three year old to wrap his brain around, but maybe someday he'll thank me for it......

3 comments:

Phillips Family said...

You mind swinging by here and teaching my kids???

Great lesson and thoughts! I think we quickly teach our kids to say "thank you" at an early age but never really explain why they should say it in the first place. I love your statement of how it goes beyond having good manners.

Have a super thanksgiving, sweet friend. I know your family is thankful beyond words for you!

(by the way, aren't we all a little sad that Frat Thanksgiving has disappeared? I miss catching up with you in person!)

Jodi said...

Precious. Just precious.

Thanks for the inspiration, there, Mommy. :)

Amanda Pittman said...

Ging, I need your new address! 1) I need it to send mail, 2) I need to drop Easton off. Don't worry, I will pick him back up when he turns 18. You are a great mom and I enjoy hearing your thoughts!