Tuesday, October 7, 2008

So...when are you due?


Our bestest of friends, the Gleatons, had dinner with us tonight at a local eatery. We were a sight to behold, I'm sure, with the four adults huddled at the end of the table, laughing and talking. Our two infant girls, born only 5 weeks apart, close by...whining and begging for more bites of table food. And then there were the four other children at the end of the table...they were so entertaining, the couple sitting behind us didn't even speak to one another because they were too busy staring at the circus only 5 feet away from them. These are the instances when I quietly request that Cody tips the waitress a little extra because I know she has earned her money...
All that to say, the 4 of us got into a pretty hilarious discussion. We started telling stories of how we had "put our foot in our mouth" in certain situations. Some were those "awwww...that is SO WRONG" kind of embarassing stories, some were just jaw-dropping speechless embarassing, and then there were some that just made you cringe. You know what I'm talking about, right? The kinds of situations you find yourselves in where you ask the lady when she's due, and she's not pregnant? Yep....that's what I'm saying.
So, I'm curious. Has anyone else out there put their foot in their mouth like the 4 of us have, or are we just freaks with no tact?
If so, we may be freaks, but we have awfully cute kids. The waitress even said so.

4 comments:

John and Bevin said...

Ginger! I found your comment on Annalee's blog, and wanted to say hello! It's so good to see that you are doing well! You have a lovely family! If you don't mind, I am going to add a link to your blog on mine. It's funny, I actually think of you often, as I STILL catch myself saying "presh", as in short for "precious", just as you did all through my pledge days! :-) It's funny how things stick!
All my love,
Bevin (Steward) Williams

Jodi said...

OK, can I just say that I absolutely LOVE reading your blog?!?!? You write the exact same way I remember you talking, which makes me smile. :) Love it. And I can tell you are such a fabulous Mommy.

Ok, on to one of COUNTLESS times I have put my foot in my mouth. Back at ACU, we worked with Treadaway Kids. We had a new kid in our class one night, so I do my thing to try to make this new sweet 5 year old feel overly welcome. "So excited you're here!" "You are such a sweet girl and I love your ponytails!" "Here are some other little girls you might want to meet in our class." Etc..... only to find out (at the end of the night) that little cutie in braided ponytails was a boy. Yikes. I could have died.

Unknown said...

I'm just too embarrassed to actually type out some of those situations I have gotten myself into!! But I am sooo right there with you! Your comment on my blog made me smile!! I miss you guys so much too! A reunion must be had!!

L Andrews said...

I will NEVER forget how hard we laughed when you told us that story! Wish I'd been there to hear it again! I love to laugh like that! Thanks for the smile!